Monday 17 September 2012

An Iranian in an Iranian Restaurant

A few days back I dined at Gol Anar in Bidaa for the first time with my friends. Now you have to understand that its a bit challenging for me to go to an Iranian restaurant here in Kuwait without having my fair share of comments throughout the meal because there aren't any decent ones here.


We went for an early supper so it wasn't crowded at all. Settled at our table we were offered fresh bread accompanied by cheese, olives, mint, basil and walnuts.





For starters we ordered the Golnar Maksous, Rayhan, Shirazi, Shirazi Golnar and Mast o Kheyar. 



The Golnar Maksous was delicious really tangy fresh and had a hint of bottled lemon juice you grow to love in Iran. The Shirazi salads were equally tasty especially the Shirazi Golnar, it had pomegranate molasses in the dressing. I have to recreate this at home ASAP!! The Rayhan salad wasn't anything special really the vermicelli didn't really belong there and stuck out like a sore thumb. Now the mast o kheyar was a huge let down. It barely had any cucumbers, the yougurt wasnt thick and barely had any dried mint.

Now to be fair we didn't try any other starters so I can't comment on anything else in that department.



We were introduced to the lovely Head Chef Hameed and came over for a chat. (We told him to jooj up the  yogurt dip)! I couldn't help myself........

Now off to the main supper:

  
My buddy ordered the kabab kobedeh (minced kabab) and kabab barg (fillet) with rice. It was presented beautifully I tried the kababs and the minced one had a tad too much onion but the barg was quite good. Juicy and full of flavor. I didn't try the rice but looked and smelt delicious.


My other friend and I ordered a chicken dish that was lost in menu translation. It didn't say that it had a tomato sauce. It was half chicken cooked slowly with a sauce that was quite bland. I know I should have ordered a stew or kabab but what put me off was the fact they don't have skewers of just chicken breast or fillet. Am not a thigh person at all so it was the only option.

The service was brilliant, the vibe was great I will defiantly go back again and try other delights on the menu.

  

No comments: